Monday, February 6, 2017

A hard day at Sierra de Gredos - Spain

A hard day at Sierra de Gredos - Spain

The wind was blowing tremendously strong intensifying the wind chill effect and the fog was preventing us to see more than 50m ahead.
I knew the summit Almanzor was not too far from the point where we was standing but we were still missing the most difficult part to climb.
The team was not prepared to overcome such a difficult task and, on top of that there was no point to continue.
I knew everybody was eager to reach the top … we were so close …
"THAT IS IT GUYS … WE HAVE TO RETURN"
It's hard having to "stop the fun" especially when I knew that everybody had traveled from so far away to climb this mountain but I know today that was the right decision at that time.
(one day earlier)
I can't say the day before was sunny and with a blue sky, was not. Was kind of foggy day but good enough for a ice climbing introduction and I had the opportunity to explain all the techniques I was supposed to and, at the end was a wonderful working day.
We spent the night at the Refúgio Elola, the local mountain hut and I remember the substantial dinner we had, was something like a goulash in a Spanish way, whatever that is.
The climbing day was supposed to have better weather but Nature has its mysteries and during the night the Gods might had some disagreement in between them.
I slept regularly, in mountain huts I never sleep deeply but the fair amount to rest. Anyway, inside the mountain hut one cannot have the perception of the weather outside.
We left the hut around 5am, just before sunrise. It's always better to start walking with hard snow.
There was no way to see the clouds and or to assess the weather for the next hours.
Around 8am the weather was already giving us a hard time and we was right before being exposed to the most severe area, we was about to be at the north face of the mountain, the windiest part.
Half an hour later I had all the team tide up to a rock, all prepared to climb the last section but there was when I realized the team couldn't continue and you know the rest.
I'm joining a picture of the place but with god weather so you can understand where was we :)
The mountain is still there so we will try another day.
David Monteiro

No comments:

Post a Comment